Getting a SENDCO role?

Home Forums Getting a SENDCO role?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DeltaDelta
    Participant

Will I be able to juggle the NASENCO course alongside my class teacher role?

NikiNiki
      Participant

Are you a 1.0 teacher?
        I’m 0.6 in class and 0.4 SENDCO.
        I’ve had to defer mine for 6 months as I keep getting bogged down with SENCO stuff and having to shelve it!

DeltaDelta
        Participant

I am a full time class teacher. I tried applying for roles for September and only was shortlisted for one which I didn’t get. It seems that I won’t get a look in for a post without the qualification beforehand. That is why I will see if I can get on the course and hopefully that will help my application next time.

SendMeSunshineAngela
          Participant

I completed the SENDCo course whilst working as a SENDCo. There were five major assignments to complete. I spent each ‘holiday’ completing the next assignment and catching up on any ‘session reflections’ and ‘competency evidence’ from previous sessions and the previous half-term at school.

In the summer break I decided on my research theme, did the literature review (assignments 3 and 4) and mapped out the research timetable.

There was not a question of me trying to fit in the study alongside my role during term time.
            It was intensely difficult and I had to aim for a minimum level pass rather than try and achieve any academic improvement. It was the same for my whole cohort – we just needed it over so we could get on and do the job that some of us were already doing before being ‘trained’ in how to do it.

NikiNiki
            Participant

I’d say it would be easier to complete in terms of time as class teacher (theres a lot of reading) but in terms of doing the research, evaluating interventions etc harder to manage as teacher as you won’t have the evidence already from your day to day work.

SarahSarah
              Participant

I completed whilst teaching rather than as a SENDCo and feel it is easier than when being a SENDCo, although still demanding. I had to rely on info from other SENDCos and make plans for completing tasks with SEN children as part of the assignments but always chose a child in my class. It took up many evenings, weekends and holidays but I’m so relieved to have completed it before being in role. Regarding applying for jobs – I completed the course over 1 year ago and have been working alongside our current SENDCo for the past year and still haven’t been shortlisted for interview yet. The feedback has been that they have gone with someone more experienced, so I continue to build up my knowledge in my current school to support me. Good luck!

NeilNeil
                Participant

Hi, I am planning on doing the course in September 2022 alongside my full time teaching role, I am not a Senco, but an aspiring one.

What did you select for your whole school ideas for promoting SEN?

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.