Reply To: Child came to school with No SEN and later discovered he has a EHCP.

Home Forums Child came to school with No SEN and later discovered he has a EHCP. Reply To: Child came to school with No SEN and later discovered he has a EHCP.

DelythDelyth
Participant

I’ve had experience of this before and it is very frustrating. I would suggest a strategy meeting with the parents and the SEND caseworker from the local authority as unfortunately the child is now on your roll and therefore your responsibility. It is important to really understand the EHCP and see if the provision is adequate. It’s not an easy situation to navigate – I spent 2 years on a similar case that in the end went to Social Care as non-communication with professionals by parents and failure to maintain the child’s emotional and physical safety was deemed neglect. Often after a fixed term exclusion (or many!) due to persistent physical and verbal aggression and the threat of permanent exclusion, I found that parents and the local authority / professionals were willing to engage and an alternative placement was sought that better met the child’s needs. At the end of the day it’s the child who really suffers. I really wish you well.