Home Forums Requesting support that is not yet recognised on the EHCP Reply To: Requesting support that is not yet recognised on the EHCP

NikiNiki
Participant

The diagnosis is not the important thing anyway, it’s the description of the needs. So my 16 year old with well managed ADD was able to get by with just the odd fixed term exclusion at school without additional support just reasonable adjustments. As my ASD 19 year old never had anything more than a token IEP with a passing mention of friendship skiils – in practice, sticking her in a group of naughty boys on a weds afternoon to learn how to sit & listen – which she was already fab at!) Another child might present with more challenging behaviour and qualify for funding.
As a side note, I got a private diagnosis for my daughter then switched to CAMHS for medication. Was told by triage worker that a private DX (by a Dr who also practiced at nhs camhs clinics in two UK cities) might not be accepted then “I spoke to our Dr, and he knows your chap and trusts him, so you’re through”. Rather shockingly!